Welcome to Kuala Lumpur

Welcome to Kuala Lumpur. Please use the search box below on the left hand side of the page, to quickly find tips and information for living in KL. To receive regular updates and tips please become a follower and subscribe at the bottom of the page. I welcome all your emails at: expatliving@hotmail.co.uk

Friday, February 18, 2011

Supermarkets and Malls in Kuala Lumpur

We are really spoilt for choice when it comes to supermarkets. The numerous shopping malls are also very impressive, full of variety and they are massive. I cannot tell you how many times I have been to the Curve or Mid Valley/Gardens and got lost or couldn't find a store I had visited before. They do need some getting used to and believe me, you will need a foot massage after a serious shopping trip!

Supermarkets are spread all over KL. Some are in malls, some in shopping centres and others on the corner of a plaza.

The website below lists the details of several supermarkets such as Tesco, Carrefour and Giant. It also provides a list of Malls such as Pavillion, Low Yat, Starhill, Lot 10 and Sungai Wang Plaza.

If you prefer markets you can also find a list of these at this same link:
http://www.701panduan.com/var/4/supermarkets.php

However, there are other supermarkets that I have come across:
Village Grocer (I really like the one at 1 Mont Kiara). Not sure how many outlets they have but I can recommend the one in Mont Kiara opposite Mont Kiara Plaza.

Cold Storage who have 12 or more outlets with an average opening time from 09.00 to 22.00. You can find them in Bangsar Shopping Centre, KLCC, Solaris and Midvalley. For more info and outlets have a look at their site: http://www.coldstorage.com/

Isetan who have 3 outlets, one of which is in KLCC. http://www.isetankl.com/

Mercato have 2 outlets, one is at lower ground in Pavillion Mall and the other at Hartamas Shopping Centre.

Giant have numerous outlets, one of which is at Bandar Damansara and Maju Junction. More information to be found on their site. www.giant.com.my

Tesco too have a presence around KL, for example at the Paradigm Mall, in Ampang and at the Curve shopping mall: www.tesco.com.my

Bens Independent Grocer (B.I.G) is simply marvelous!! They have outlets at Ikano the Curve and Publika Shopping Mall. https://big.com.my/


Jaya Grocer has also recently swept in and is beginning to prove a competitor of Village Grocer.
They have outlets all over Kuala Lumpur and 2 in Mont Kiara area alone.
https://www.jayagrocer.com/

As I discover more supermarkets I shall add these to this site and also provide an excel spreadsheet with some of the prices for comparison.

I can also recommend the wet market at TTDI (Taman Tun Dr Ismail) which has a great selection of fresh seafood, fruits, vegetables and all sorts of noodles, tofu, sauces and things I wouldn't know how to cook or eat if it wasn't for my singaporean/english friend's explanations. TTDI, Jalan Wan Kadir Taman Tun Dr Ismail, 60000 KL.

For a comprehensive list of shopping malls (including Ikea) with addresses attached have a look at:
http://www.expatliving-malaysia.com/expat/expat.php?num=22&page=22_2

Happy shopping!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the info! My husband and I are on an educational holiday in KL for a couple of months, and needed some groceries!

    ReplyDelete

Overseas Blog

Featured Malaysia Blog on GO! Overseas